When we our clients purchased this 1898 random rubble limestone workers cottage situated in East Fremantle’s historic Plympton ward it had endured ad hoc alterations, additions and verandah enclosures in the 50s and early 70s. The cottage was stripped back to its original, three room configuration, utilising the existing rooms as a child’s bedroom, guest room and a playroom. The original entrance hall was maintained as the main access through a glazed link to the new living meals and kitchen areas. Laundry and bathroom areas were incorporated in the link and access an external service court to the south. Parents bedroom, robe and en-suite bathroom extend beyond to embrace the north eastern aspect of the rear yard. The addition clearly defines itself from the original building by its simple forms, contemporary materials and smooth textures, thereby paying respect to historical significance and preserving the integrity of the original cottage.
The project received a commendation in the 2006 Fremantle & East Fremantle Heritage Awards.
photography - Samuel Wright